Leg muscle is the largest one in your body. Learn ultimate Leg Workouts for men. Step by step Leg exercise you can DO it yourself.
Let’s START Leg exercise!
Your leg muscles are among the largest muscles in your body and working them out not only increases their strength, but also provides other benefits such as better core strength and endurance, increase in one’s ability to perform cardiovascular exercises.
You should not exercise your upper body only and neglect your legs, because if you do so you will look disproportionate and you will also not get the enormous benefits of training your quads, glutes, calf muscles and hamstrings.
Advantages of Leg Workouts, especially for men
- 1. Builds Muscle in Your Whole Body
Leg workouts not only build the leg muscles, but they also promote the creation of an anabolic environment, which leads to increase in strength and size of muscles in the whole body. Leg workouts are usually so intense that they trigger the release of human growth hormone and testosterone, which are vital for the growth of muscles.
- 2. They Make Daily Activities Easier
Leg workouts build muscles and help them work more efficiently. They also promote the balance and mobility of the body. All these benefits translate into your body being able to move more efficiently in the real world. They will enable you to walk for long distances without feeling tired.
- 3. Burn More Body Fat
One of the most efficient ways of burning more calories is by performing leg workouts. Leg workouts such as squats, tend to consume a lot of calories, as a result they stimulate the body to breakdown body fat to generate energy. Additionally by performing leg workouts you will gain more muscle. Your body will require an additional 50 to 70 calories for every pound of muscle it gains. The increase in the daily calorie requirement of the body will in turn promote the breakdown of body fat.
- 4. Maintain Balance and Mobility
Leg workouts not only increase the strength of leg muscles, they also stabilize the muscles, as a result they help in maintaining body balance. They also improve the communication between the muscle groups and the brain, this leads to better coordination of body movements.
- 5. Prevent Injuries
Most of the athletic injuries occur as a result of weak ligaments, connective tissues, and stabilizer muscles. Leg workouts prevent athletic injuries by strengthening these body tissues. They also help in preventing injuries by improving the balance and flexibility of the body (for example, squats improve the range of motion of the hips and ankles).
- 6. Boost Your Sports Performance — Run Faster And Jump Higher
Scientific studies have shown that leg workouts are able to tremendously increase sports performance. This is why they form part of the training program of every professional athlete.
Some Tips on Leg Workout For Men
- Always warm up before any leg workout.
- Keep the intensity high and volume low. 8 to 12 total sets for legs (hamstrings and quads) is enough. Keep the intensity high with heavy weights in a 4 to 6 rep range.
- Do the above leg workouts for men once a week. By doing so you will be able to avoid over training and your legs will also have enough time to recover.
- Do not lock out your knees when performing the above leg workouts for men. When you lock your knee joint, you will transfer all the weight from your muscles to your knee joints. This stresses the knee joint and can lead to injury.
- Don’t use more weight than your body can handle. If you are not able to complete the full range of motion of any leg workout, reduce the weight and repeat the exercise.
- When using a stationery bike, lower the incline to reduce the stress on your knees.
- Seek medical help from a qualified doctor, after any injury or if you are experiencing muscle or joint pain that is not lessening or going away.
Leg Workouts For Men: Top 5 Exercises
- Step under the bar (that you have loaded with weights that you are comfortable with) and place your feet shoulder width apart.
- With both of your feet, take a half step forward.
- Descend until your thighs are just parallel to the ground and return back to the starting point and repeat the exercise as explained above.
Aim: for 3 to 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps.
Note: Ensure that you always bend your knees in the same direction that your feet are pointing.
Muscles worked: quads, glutes, calves
- Stand and place your feet hip width apart, and hold dumbbells at your sides, and then take one big step forward using your right foot.
- Bend the right knee at a 90 degree angle, and make sure that your knee is always behind your toes when performing this exercise.
- While bending your right knee, simultaneously bend your left leg towards the floor.
- Push your body back up to the starting position, and then repeat the movements explained above.
Aim: Try to do 3 to 4 sets of 8 to12 reps on each of your legs.
Muscles worked: quads, glutes, and calves.
3. Calf raises
- Stand with the heels of your feet hanging off a step’s edge, and hold dumbbells by your sides.
- Push your body up on to your toes, you should then slowly come down.
Aim: for 3 to 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps.
Muscles worked: calves.
4. Leg curls
- Climb onto a leg curl machine.
- Place the foot pad slightly above your heels and grip the handlebars.
- Bend your legs, and move your heels backward towards your buttocks.
- Move your legs back to the starting position and then repeat the leg movement.
Aim: Do 3 to 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps, and make sure that the weight you are using is enough.
Muscles worked: calves.
5. Dead lifts
- Stand up with your feet shoulder-width apart (don’t lock your knees).
- Hold a barbell that you have loaded with weights, and with your hands shoulder width apart and palms facing down (don’t lock your elbows).
- Keep your back straight,and bend forward at your waist, and bring the barbell down close to your ankles.
- Using your buttocks and your hamstrings (don’t use your back), move back to the starting position and then repeat the above body movements.
Aim: Do 3 to 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps, and use a weight that you are comfortable with.
Muscles worked: glutes and hamstrings.
The above leg workouts for men should be done once a week, so as to give the legs enough time to recover.